Deciding to enroll in an Online MPA program is a great choice. Public administration has various implementations in businesses, non-profit organizations, and public service organizations that can potentially provide for lifelong, satisfying careers. When you are searching for the right online program, you may find that the choices can be overwhelming, since there are a multitude of options available.
Our goal is to provide you with support during this process and provide reliable and researched results that you can count on. Our experts have scrutinized the various Online MPA programs available to assist you in choosing the right university. We took different things into consideration when making this list, including the reputation of the university as well as the basic requirements of each university for acceptance. There are several different factors that come into play when choosing a degree program, including the reliability of the degree program, the costs, and the amount of time it takes to complete.
Browse some of the top online MPA programs below to get a good idea of your choices prior to enrolling. As with any rankings list, this is a subjective list (though we did our best!), and you can view our methodology below.
University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill – Online MPA
UNC – Chapel Hill’s Online MPA degree program is ranked among the best 25 public administration programs in the nation. This program seeks to prepare learners leadership roles in both governmental and business positions. Through this online degree program, students can learn and prepare for leadership positions in various sectors of local government, national government, small businesses, and major well-known businesses.
Costs, Length, & Credit Hour Requirements
- Tuition: $52,800 total, minus fees and books
- Program Length: 45 credit hours, 2 years or less
- Accreditation: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA)
University of Southern California – Online MPA
The Online MPA program at Southern California integrates the necessary elements of all related discipline to help provide a great understanding of leadership and management that is needed in public administration. Since public administration is a multidisciplinary topic, this university caters to the need for a diverse, yet structure curriculum.
- Tuition: $1,666 per credit hour
- Program Length: 2-3 years
- Accreditation: Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA)
Texas A & M University – Online Executive Master of Public Service and Administration
Texas A & M University claims that a degree from their university can set learners apart from the rest in the working world. This online degree program offered by this school requires a 2 week residency within the 2 year program period. It also allows for students to choose from 3 different tracks – Homeland Security, Non-Profit Management, or Public Management.
- Tuition: Costs vary – School advises prospects to call for a recent quote.
- Program Length: 39 credit hours, 2+ years
- Accreditation: The National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA)
University of Colorado – Denver – Online MPA
UCD provides students within an Online MPA program that allows for them to continue working or managing a busy family life. This university offers reasonable options for in-state and out of state students, which is a great option for students from across the country.
- Tuition: $625 per credit hour
- Program Length: 1 1/2 – 2 years
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission
University of Central Florida – Online MPA
UCF’s Online MPA program is designed to cater to future non-profit and public servants. This program seeks to increase overall leadership and management skills for individuals on this track, and is a great choice for students that want to get the most out of their degree program.
- Tuition: $15,525 (in-state students) & $50,150 (out of state students) including fees
- Program Length: 42 credit hours, 2+ years
- Accreditation: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) & Networks of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs and Administration
University of Illinois – Springfield – Online MPA
The University of Illinois-Springfield sets itself apart from other universities in that it drives focus away from standard educational experiences. This university wants to provide the Online MPA program to students that want to design their own schedule to fit their lifestyles.
- Tuition: $675 per credit hour, not including fees
- Program Length: 40 credit hours, 2 years on average
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission & North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
Villanova University – Online MPA
The goal of Villanova University’s Online MPA program is to prepare and create effective leaders and managers in non-profit and public service organizations. Students that want to know the ins and outs of ethics and how they are properly applied in the public setting are great candidates for this university.
- Tuition: $925 per credit hour plus fees
- Program Length: 2+ years
- Accreditation: Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Pennsylvania State University – Online MPA
Penn State has recognized the need for knowledgeable and reputable leaders in the public sector. In response to this need, this university has provided a reliable and relevant MPA program to truly test the skills of students involved. If you want a challenging degree program that is worth the effort, than definitely consider Penn State for your Online MPA program.
- Tuition: Full-time $9856 per semester
- Program Length: 36 credit hours, 2 years on average
- Accreditation: National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA)
University of Missouri – Columbia – Online Master of Public Affairs
This university focuses on the interdisciplinary approach to training great leaders for non-profit and public entities. Using a blend of research and public service capacity, this university provides students with different perspectives that can provide for a great foundation for leadership positions.
- Tuition: $13,431 total, not including fees
- Program Length: 33 credit hours, 1 1/2 – 2 years
- Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission & Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs and Administration
Northeastern University – Online MPA
Northeastern University claims that their Online MPA program is no different in consistency than their standard in-person program. This university has worked hard to ensure that their Online MPA program meets national standards, and provides students with everything needed to be knowledgeable and valid professionals in public service.
- Tuition: $54,390 total, not including fees
- Program Length: 42 credit hours, 2+ years
- Accreditation: Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs and Administration (NASPAA)